Wednesday, July 13, 2011

California Sends Gay History Education Bill to Governor (ContributorNetwork)

COMMENTARY | According to the Huffington Post, California lawmakers have passed SB48, a bill that if the governor signs it, will require public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum. Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed a similar bill in 2006. Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, says that because of the bullying that happens to gay students the addition of this law is important.

The vote split along party lines. Republicans characterized the bill as well-intentioned but ill-conceived and further raised concerns that such a law will indoctrinate children to accept homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle. Republican Tom Donnelly says that as a Christian, he is offended and that the bill is being used to promote a "homosexual agenda" in public schools. "I think it's one thing to say that we should be tolerant," he said. "It is something else altogether to say that my children are going to be taught that this lifestyle is good."

The Speaker of the Assembly, Democrat John Perez, California's first openly gay speaker, sees it differently and said "This bill will require California schools to present a more accurate and nuanced view of American history in our social science curriculum by recognizing the accomplishments of groups that are not often recognized." If Governor Jerry Brown, signs the bill, it will take effect during the 2013-2014 school year. The governor hasn't commented on the bill.

This is a tough one. Firstly, I think Tom Donnelly has missed the fact that his religion has no status in deciding what will be taught in public schools. He's serving California as a Republican; not as a Christian, and the "agenda" of which he speaks, is equality.

I was under the impression that equality is an American agenda ... not just a deviant homosexual idea. Furthermore, I was not aware that homosexuality is a lifestyle. Is heterosexuality a lifestyle? I can't remember once in my whole life deciding which direction I should mow my lawn to make sure that people know I'm straight. I have never helped a homeless person and thought, that I was doing so because that's just how straight people are supposed to act. I've never shouted out, in the heat of passion, "Look at me! I'm being straight." I'd like to know what the Assemblyman means by "lifestyle." Does he think that gay people pay their taxes with gay money earned in their gay jobs and sent from the mailboxes at their gay homes? I just don't get it. Or maybe it's just him.

On the other hand, I think it's a bit much, in a state that still won't accept same sex marriage, to push gay educational materials in history/social studies classes. It's a bit of a mixed message to say that gay people should be treated equally, but they can't get married. We do need tolerance education in our schools. We also need it in our homes, our churches, our synagogues, on our televisions and in our legislature.

Tolerance education is a good thing. I'm not sure, yet, though, how that's achieved by adding stories of gay people in history to the mix of our public school curriculum. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it seems to me that this bill is just setting the stage for a fight between intolerant parents, and schools saying "We get what you're saying, but the legislature made it law." The bill is a nice idea, but until we pass same sex marriage, it seems like a bit of the cart before the horse.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment